Sunday, April 10, 2011

I am a sugar addict

Welcome to my madness....

After much reflection I have come to the conclusion that I am indeed a sugar addict. It's my crutch against all that ails me. It props me up and drags me down every single day of my life and I am as helpless against my cravings as any heroin addict. I have to get my fix every single day or I come undone. This is not a flattering picture that is emerging from my self examinations. My tolerance for my obesity is coming to a crisis point as I am now 50 years old and to wait any longer to finally confront my disease is sheer folly.

Sugar (and starch/carbohydrates) is deeply mood altering for me. A nice big dose of sugar lulls me into a delicious stupor and gives me a soothing high, a welcome relief from the stress of my everyday life. Cravings for sugar and carbs run my life. Guilty food pleasures are squirreled away, tucked into corners of the kitchen, slipped next to the bedside and stashed by my computer and TV. The cabinet over the stove I refer to the contraband cabinet as it holds my supply of chips and crackers.

My disease started when I was eight years old during a case of scarlet fever. I went into bed a thin hyper-active child and came out four weeks later, bloated and consumed with food. None of my clothes fit anymore and I could no longer sit on my knees at my desk at school because my legs were too fat. I remember being very confused about it at the time, but in typical child fashion I just got used to it. Pretty soon I had a gigantic stomach and looked like an egg on stilts. Puberty thinned me out for awhile, but by the time I graduated from college, I was having some real trouble controlling my weight. Now it's been 30 years of yo-yo dieting and I'm at an absolute impasse. Nothing has worked. Sugar controls me and I hate it...

No comments:

Post a Comment